Spinal Cord Stimulator
The Orthopaedic Institute of Central Jersey, specializes in treating injuries of the Spine, Neck and Back. We utilize the expertise of 18 Board Certified and Fellowship Trained Orthopedic Surgeons, Sports Medicine Specialists, and Physical Therapists to develop treatment plans based on your unique injury, lifestyle, and goals.
Locations in Wall, Toms River, Edison, Manahawkin, Freehold, and Red Bank.
What is a Spinal Cord Stimulator?
A spinal cord stimulator is a spine pain relief device. The stimulator is implanted into the patient’s back and sends electrical impulses that block nerve pain signals to the brain. A spinal cord stimulator procedure consists of two parts:
- A trial. An electrode is placed in the epidural space and impulses are sent to it. The patient provides pain relief feedback to determine if the electrode is in a perfect position. The patient leaves and monitors pain levels for approximately one week. Patients who have improved pain levels undergo the second part of the procedure.
- Spinal cord stimulator implant. A short outpatient procedure performed under IV sedation. Two very tiny incisions are made on the lower back. Electrode wires are guided into the epidural space and perfectly placed. A small incision is made on the waistline and the stimulator is placed in a small pocket made by the specialist.
The patient returns home shortly after the procedure and monitors their pain levels for another week. Special instructions are given to ensure the electrodes and stimulator stay in position. Pain relief after the procedure is significant and sustained.
What Conditions Does a Spinal Cord Stimulator Treat?
A spinal cord stimulator may be used to treat:
- Chronic neck or back pain
- Complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS)
- Failed neck or back surgery
And more. Receiving a diagnosis is the first step toward pain relief. Dr. Nathan Holtzberg
Thank you for taking such wonderful care of me. You are not only a great surgeon but a very kind and patient man.
Dr. Goldstein has been extremely helpful in treating my lower back pain. Before surgery, he explained the entire procedure and answered my many questions.
Dr. Lospinuso made me feel like I was the only patient he had. He explained my problem: no rushing, easy to understand language & art work of my problem.
Meet An Expert
Wall, Toms River, Freehold, Red Bank, Edison
Located in Wall, New Jersey