Top Shoulder Specialists in New Jersey
We utilize the expertise of our Board Certified and Fellowship Trained Orthopedic Surgeons, Sports Medicine Specialists, and Physical Therapists to develop treatment plans based on your unique injury, lifestyle, and goals.
What is Shoulder Tendonitis?
Shoulder tendonitis is the inflammation of the rotator cuff tendons. The tendons stabilize the shoulder and help it move. They become irritated and inflamed when overused. Symptoms of shoulder tendonitis include:
- Shoulder pain at rest
- Shoulder pain triggered by movement
- Decreased range of motion
Activities and movements that cause shoulder tendonitis include throwing sports, swimming, weightlifting, and overhead lifting (manual labor). The cause of shoulder tendonitis is very important for treatment. Our specialists perform a medical history review to determine the exact cause of shoulder tendonitis. A physical examination is performed to check for symptoms and if needed medical imaging studies (X-rays and MRIs) are ordered to rule out the possibility of a tendon tear.
How is Shoulder Tendonitis Treated?
Nonsurgical treatment options treat the overwhelming majority of cases of shoulder tendonitis. OIBOrtho specialists prescribe the following:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications. Topical and oral medications that decrease inflammation and pain. Aspirin, Celebrex, Motrin, and Advil are well-known, commonly prescribed NSAIDs.
- Rest and ice. Temporarily stopping or slowing down activities that cause shoulder tendonitis gives inflammation a chance to calm down. Ice may be used for the same purpose.
- Physical therapy. An OIBOrtho approved physical therapist prescribes and monitors exercises to improve shoulder strength and flexibility. Symptoms decrease quickly. As do the chances of shoulder tendonitis returning.
- Injections. Corticosteroid and anti-inflammatory medications provide fast-acting pain relief. Often times, injections quickly reduce symptoms while slower acting treatment options began to work.
Treatment options are prescribed as part of a comprehensive, customized treatment plan. Symptoms are dramatically reduced in as short a time frame as possible. To schedule your appointment with a specialist, call our practice or visit our contact page.
Wall, Brick, Toms River, Freehold, Red Bank, Lacey, Edison, Manahawkin
Visit Urgent Care
Wall, New Jersey