New Jersey's Leading Experts in Knee Conditions & Procedures
Our expert team specializes in restoring function to the Knee after injury or deterioration. We utilize the expertise of awarded Board Certified and Fellowship Trained Orthopedic Surgeons, Sports Medicine Specialists, and Physical Therapists to develop specific treatment plans based on your unique injury, lifestyle, and goals.
What is Knee Arthritis?
The knee is the largest joint in the body. It supports the lower body and bends the leg. Knee arthritis, the inflammation of knee bone and soft tissue, is common. The three types of knee arthritis are:
- Osteoarthritis (OA). The wear and tear of knee cartilage with age. OA is most common in patients over 50. Symptoms include pain, swelling, and stiffness. Symptoms usually become worse during weight-bearing activities. If left untreated, OA and presenting symptoms become worse.
- Rheumatoid arthritis (RA). RA is an autoimmune disease—the body attacks its own bone and cartilage. RA usually affects both knees. Symptoms include pain, swelling, tenderness, stiffness, and general fatigue. RA’s cause is unknown.
- Posttraumatic arthritis. Arthritis that develops after an accident or injury. Common causes include knee fractures and ligament, cartilage, and tendon tears.
Knee arthritis is a chronic condition—it can be managed but not cured. An early diagnosis is the key to effective treatment. Our specialists are fellowship trained and board-certified. They accurately diagnosis OA, RA, and posttraumatic arthritis.
How is Knee Arthritis Treated?
A combination of nonsurgical treatment options is used to treat mild to moderate knee arthritis. OIBO specialists commonly prescribe:
- Medications to manage pain and inflammation.
- Physical therapy to strengthen the knee.
- Bracing to reduce the load placed on the knee.
- Injections to provide fast-acting symptom relief.
- Activity modification to prevent arthritis from becoming worse.
Surgical intervention may be recommended for severe knee arthritis. A partial or total knee arthroplasty removes arthritic bone and tissue and replaces it with metal and plastic components. Knee arthroplasty is one of the most effective surgeries in orthopedics. To schedule your appointment visit our contact page.
Wall, Brick, Toms River, Freehold, Red Bank, Lacey, Edison & Manahawkin
Visit Urgent Care
Wall, New Jersey