New Jersey's Leading Experts in Hip Conditions & Procedures
Our expert team specializes in restoring function to the Hip. We utilize the expertise of awarded Board Certified and Fellowship Trained Orthopedic Surgeons, Sports Medicine Specialists, and Physical Therapists to develop specific treatment plans based on your unique injury, lifestyle, and goals.
What is Hip Resurfacing?
Hip resurfacing is a modified type of hip replacement procedure and the distinguishing feature of the procedure is the replacement of only the femoral head. In a total hip replacement, the head of the femur is completely removed and replaced with a ball and stem implant. In a hip resurfacing procedure, the head of the femur is carefully trimmed and replaced with a cap.
Our Joint Replacement experts have helped thousands of patients return to an active lifestyle using this innovative procedure.
Common procedure steps include:
- A board-certified anesthesiologist administers general anesthesia
- A lateral or anterior hip incision is made
- Muscles and soft tissues are retracted and the hip joint is exposed
- Damaged bone and cartilage are removed or trimmed
- An implant is used to mimic the function of a healthy hip joint
After surgery, an OIO selected physical therapist will work with you throughout your recovery to help you regain strength, flexibility, and function. Pain quickly goes away and quality of life improves as patients regain strength, flexibility, and function.
What Does Hip Resurfacing Treat?
Hipbone damage can cause many problems for patients. Causes of hip bone damage include:
- Avascular necrosis. Lack of blood flow and nutrients to hip bones.
- Osteoarthritis. Wear and tear of hip bone and cartilage.
- Rheumatoid arthritis. An immune attack on hip bone and cartilage.
- Post-traumatic arthritis. An accident or injury causes early onset arthritis.
- Difficulty walking
- Groin pain
- Hip pain
Hip resurfacing is recommended for patients whose femoral head is not badly damaged or whose arthritis has not yet progressed to the need for total hip replacement.
Patients who experience symptoms are encouraged to make an appointment as soon as possible with one of our specialists to create a customized treatment plan to reduce symptoms as quickly as possible.
Wall, Brick, Toms River, Freehold, Red Bank, Lacey, Edison, Manahawkin
Visit Urgent Care
Wall, New Jersey