Top Elbow Specialists in New Jersey
We utilize the expertise of our Board Certified and Fellowship Trained Orthopedic Surgeons, Sports Medicine Specialists, and Physical Therapists to develop treatment plans based on your unique injury, lifestyle, and goals.
What is Elbow Tendonitis?
Elbow tendonitis is inflammation of the elbow tendons. There are two types of elbow tendonitis. Tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis) occurs on the outside part of the elbow. Golfer’s elbow (medial epicondylitis) occurs on the inner. Both have the same symptoms and cause. Symptoms are pain, tenderness, weakness, and stiffness. The cause is overuse. People who play racquet, club, and throwing sports are most at risk. As are gymnasts, weightlifters, and manual laborers. The mechanisms of injury are:
- Gripping an object and using it to strike another (i.e. tennis, golf, baseball, using a hammer)
- Constant, forceful gripping of an object (i.e. throwing a baseball, gripping a bar or weight)
When diagnosing elbow tendonitis, our specialists obtain a complete medical history review. They also perform a physical examination. An accurate diagnosis is made based off of findings. All specialists are fellowship trained and board-certified.
How is Elbow Tendonitis Treated?
OIBOrtho patients receive a customized treatment plan. The plan focuses on (1) decreasing inflammation and symptoms (2) preventing elbow tendonitis from reoccurring. OIBOrtho specialists use a combination of treatment options, including:
- Rest and ice. A break from sports and activities. Ice application to painful, tender areas.
- Medications. Oral and topical pain and anti-inflammatory medications.
- Injections. Steroid and anesthetic medications delivered directly to the inflamed tendons.
- Physical therapy. Exercises.
- Bracing. Immobilization in a removable brace.
These treatment options effectively decrease symptoms of elbow tendonitis. OIBOrtho patients experience symptom relief very quickly. The chances of the injury returning are extremely small. OIBOrtho specialists provide quality patient care in five locations. To schedule your appointment with a specialist, call our practice or visit our contact page.
Wall, Brick, Toms River, Freehold, Red Bank, Lacey, Edison, Manahawkin
Visit Urgent Care
Wall, New Jersey