What is an Anterior Hip Replacement?
Anterior hip replacement is a unique type of total hip replacement procedure. The distinguishing procedure feature is the approach—a small, anterior (front) incision rather than a larger lateral (side) one is made. This minimizes surgical trauma and post-procedure pain and allows patients to recover in a shorter time frame.
At Orthopaedic Institute of Central Jersey (OICJ), our Joint Replacement experts have helped thousands of patients return to an active lifestyle using this innovative procedure.
After a board-certified anesthesiologist administers general anesthesia and pain medications, the procedure is performed as follows:
- Incision and exposure. The patient is positioned, a small anterior incision is a made, muscles and soft tissues are retracted, the joint is exposed.
- Bone removal. Damaged bone and cartilage are carefully removed and the hip bones are prepared for implants.
- Trial implants. Trial implants are placed on the bones and the perfect size is determined. A physical examination is performed to make sure the hip moves perfectly.
- Implants. Implants are placed on the bones and cemented into place.
- Closure. The incision is carefully closed and sterilely dressed. A soft foam pillow is placed between the legs to partially immobilize the hip.
The patient is brought to a comfortable private hospital room after they are awake and alert.
Physical therapy is started on the day of surgery and continues throughout the recovery with a physical therapist.
What Does Anterior Hip Replacement Treat?
Anterior hip replacement Anterior hip replacement may be recommended to treat:
- Osteoarthritis. Wear and tear of the hip bone and soft tissue.
- Avascular necrosis. Lack of blood supply to the hip bone.
- Rheumatoid arthritis. The body attacks its own hip bone and soft tissue.
- Post-traumatic arthritis. An accident or injury induces early onset arthritis.
Symptoms that can be easily improved include:
- Difficulty walking
- Groin pain
- Hip pain
At Orthopaedic Institute of Central Jersey (OICJ) our Board-Certified and Fellowship Trained hip specialists Dr. John Tozzi and Dr. Gregory Roehrig are anterior hip replacement experts.
Patients who experience symptoms are encouraged to make an appointment as soon as possible to see if they are an anterior hip replacement candidate or can benefit from other treatment options.