What is Spondylosis?
Spondylosis is a descriptive term for spine pain and spine degeneration. Spondylosis is not a formal medical diagnosis. If a patient experiences spondylosis, an Orthopaedic Institute of Central Jersey (OIOCJ) specialist finds out exactly what is causing it. The three main causes are:
- Osteoarthritis. The vertebral bones and soft tissues wear and tear because of overuse and age.
- Spinal stenosis. The spinal canal narrows and compresses the spinal nerve roots.
- Degenerative disc disease. The intervertebral discs between adjacent vertebrae degenerate.
A medical history review and physical examination are performed. Medical imaging studies are ordered and analyzed. An accurate diagnosis is made and a customized treatment plan is created. Symptoms quickly improve. Patients return to a normal, pain-free life.
How is Spondylosis Treated?
A customized treatment plan usually includes several treatment options. Nonsurgical options include:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Oral medications decrease inflammation and pain.
- Physical therapy. Exercises strengthen and stretch the muscles, ligaments, and tendons of the spine. Pressure is taken off the vertebrae.
- Bracing. A removable brace evenly distributes weight placed on the spine.
- Injections. An injection of steroid and numbing medications quickly decreases inflammation and pain.
- Activity modification. A plan to modify, slow down or stop activities that cause pain.
Nonsurgical treatment options effectively treat the majority of cases of spondylosis. If spondylosis is caused by severe osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis, or degenerative disc disease, an OIOCJ specialist may recommend minimally invasive spine surgery (MISS). MISS surgery patients experience less postoperative pain and have a shorter recovery than traditional open incision spine surgery patients. All OIOCJ are fellowship trained and board-certified to perform MISS. To schedule your appointment with an OIOCJ specialist, call 732-276-4334 or visit our contact page.
Recent Success Stories
Thank you for taking such wonderful care of me. You are not only a great surgeon but a very kind and patient man.Patient Review
Dr. Goldstein has been extremely helpful in treating my lower back pain. Before surgery, he explained the entire procedure and answered my many questions.Patient Review
Dr. Lospinuso made me feel like I was the only patient he had. He explained my problem: no rushing, easy to understand language & art work of my problem.Patient Review