What is Shoulder Tendonitis?
Shoulder tendonitis is the inflammation of the rotator cuff tendons. The tendons stabilize the shoulder and help it move. They become irritated and inflamed when overused. Symptoms of shoulder tendonitis include:
- Shoulder pain at rest
- Shoulder pain triggered by movement
- Decreased range of motion
Activities and movements that cause shoulder tendonitis include throwing sports, swimming, weightlifting, and overhead lifting (manual labor). The cause of shoulder tendonitis is very important for treatment. Orthopaedic Institute of Central Jersey (OIOCJ) specialists perform a medical history review to determine the exact cause of shoulder tendonitis. A physical examination is performed to check for symptoms and if needed medical imaging studies (X-rays and MRIs) are ordered to rule out the possibility of a tendon tear.
How is Shoulder Tendonitis Treated?
Nonsurgical treatment options treat the overwhelming majority of cases of shoulder tendonitis. OIOCJ specialists prescribe the following:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications. Topical and oral medications that decrease inflammation and pain. Aspirin, Celebrex, Motrin, and Advil are well-known, commonly prescribed NSAIDs.
- Rest and ice. Temporarily stopping or slowing down activities that cause shoulder tendonitis gives inflammation a chance to calm down. Ice may be used for the same purpose.
- Physical therapy. An OIOCJ approved physical therapist prescribes and monitors exercises to improve shoulder strength and flexibility. Symptoms decrease quickly. As do the chances of shoulder tendonitis returning.
- Injections. Corticosteroid and anti-inflammatory medications provide fast-acting pain relief. Often times, injections quickly reduce symptoms while slower acting treatment options began to work.
Treatment options are prescribed as part of a comprehensive, customized treatment plan. Symptoms are dramatically reduced in as short a time frame as possible. To schedule your appointment with an OIOCJ specialist, call 732-276-4334 or visit our contact page.
Recent Success Stories
Dr. Jarmon was extremely welcoming. He explained in great detail the issue with my shoulder, and even drew a picture for me to describe what was happening in layman’s terms. I have recommended him more than once already.Patient Review
John Tozzi is a wonderful doctor- throughout the process pre and post surgery. His team really helps this practice excel. Everyone very supportive and understanding. The team at the outpatient surgical center was also wonderful. Thank you.Patient Review
Dr. Sclafani’s high-level clinical expertise and superior bedside manner make him one of the best orthopedic surgeons around!Patient Review