Dr. Peter Gonzalez is a fellowship-trained sports medicine physician and is board-certified in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R). He has subspecialty certification in Sports Medicine, Electrodiagnostic Medicine, and Pain Medicine. He treats both athletes and non-athletes with a variety of musculoskeletal injuries including shoulder, knee, and back pain resulting from acute or chronic injuries. Dr. Gonzalez integrates a careful history and physical examination with radiologic studies (x-ray, MRI, CT scan) to best diagnose an injury and develop an individualized treatment plan. Dr. Gonzalez integrates non-invasive musculoskeletal ultrasound in the office to assist in the diagnosis and treatment of many conditions affecting the joints, ligaments, and tendons of the body. Furthermore, Dr. Gonzalez has fellowship training and expertise in image-guided injections using fluoroscopy (x-ray) of the spine and peripheral joints (knee, hip, and shoulder).
Dr. Gonzalez has extensive experience in managing athletic and sports-related injuries. Prior to starting practice in New Jersey, Dr. Gonzalez was the head team physician for five public schools in Virginia and team physician for Hampton University (Division 1-FCS). Dr. Gonzalez began a concussion program treating both high school and middle school athletes and developed the concussion protocols for the local public school system. In addition, Dr. Gonzalez provided concussion consultation for the Norfolk Admirals, an affiliate of the NHL Anaheim Ducks, the Norfolk Sharx, a professional team in the Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL), and Elizabeth City State University Athletic Department (Div 2). He provided consultation to the Norfolk Tides, a triple-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles (MLB), for various spine and musculoskeletal injuries. During fellowship, Dr. Gonzalez provided sports coverage to the University of Colorado and University of Denver athletic departments and was a physician at The Spine Center at the University of Colorado, a multidisciplinary clinic involving physiatry (PM&R), orthopedic surgery, neurosurgery, radiology, and physical/occupational therapy. Dr. Gonzalez is currently a Sports Medicine Physician for Sky Blue FC of the National Women’s Soccer League and for Manasquan HS.
Dr. Gonzalez attended Bucknell University and Rutgers University – Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (formerly UMDNJ) prior to completing residency and fellowship at the University of Colorado School of Medicine. He remained a clinical and teaching faculty member at the University of Colorado prior to relocating to Virginia to start a non-operative Sports Medicine and Concussion Clinic at Eastern Virginia Medical School. Dr. Gonzalez lectured and published several articles and book chapters on topics related to sports medicine, spinal interventions, and concussion. He was actively involved in both medical student and resident education and won the annual ‘teaching award’ multiple times at the University of Colorado and Eastern Virginia Medical School. Additionally, Dr. Gonzalez was voted by his peers as a “Top Doc” in 2011 and 2012.
Dr. Gonzalez grew up at the Jersey Shore in southern Monmouth County and attended Christian Brothers Academy. He lives with his wife and two children and enjoys playing sports and spending time at the beach with his family.
Experience and Education
- Eastern Virginia Medical School, Department of PM&R Norfolk, VA
Associate Professor and Residency Program Director 2013
Director, EVMS Sports Medicine 2010-2013
Assistant Professor 2010-2013
Associate Residency Director 2011-2012
- Sentara Sports Medicine Norfolk, VA
Medical Director 2010-2013
- University of Colorado School of Medicine, Department of PM&R Aurora, CO
Assistant Professor 2007-2009
Senior Instructor 2006-2007
Fellow, Spine (Interventional) and Sports Medicine 2005-2006
Resident, Physical Medicine
- University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Camden, NJ
Intern, Internal Medicine 2001-2002
Medical Doctorate 1997-2001
- Bucknell University Lewisburg, PA
Bachelor of Arts 1992
Select Publications and Presentations
- Gonzalez P, Walker M. Imaging modalities in mild traumatic brain injury and sports concussion. PMR 2011;3
- Gonzalez P, Laker S, Akuthota V, Sullivan WJ. The effects of epidural betamethasone on blood glucose in patients with diabetes mellitus. PMR 2009; 1(4):340-345.
- “Stingers in Athletes”, Acute Cervical Spine Injuries in Athletes Symposium. National Athletic Trainers’ Association (NATA) Annual Meeting (2012), St. Louis, MO.
- “Lumbar zygapophysial joint injections and medial branch blocks”. North American Spine Society (NASS). Lumbar spine Injection Course (2011), Chicago, IL.
- Licensure: New Jersey (active), Virginia (active), Colorado (inactive)
- American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- American Board of Pain Medicine
- American Board of Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- Sports Medicine (ABPMR)
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- North American Spine Society
- American Medical Society for Sports Medicine
- American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine
Team Physician: Hampton University (FCS), Norfolk Public Schools (Lake Taylor HS, Granby HS, Booker T. Washington HS, Maury HS, Norview HS)
Consultant: Norfolk Admirals Hockey Club (Affiliate of NHL Anaheim Ducks), Norfolk Tides (